The Opera House replaces the building on this site that burned down in December
1955. The former Opera House was originally built as the Athenaeum from 1852-56
and its' purpose was to house exhibitions and industrial displays. When the
Theatre Royal (now G.P.O.) closed down in 1886 the Athenaeum was adapted and
became the Opera House.
Older Corkonians have such fond and warm memories of the old Opera House that it
was bound to be difficult for the new structure to find a place in their hearts.
But the architect Micheal Scott seems scarcely to have tried at all. Financial
constraints and the fashion of the time resulted in a bleak and cold structure of
which the largest facade is a grey and dirty wall, featureless but for a fire
exit. The recently cut stage door and the large letters, reading TOYOTA, emblazoned along the top add insult to
injury by detracting from the structure's one virtue - it's simplicity.
[Next Stop] [Architecture of Cork Home Page]
Note: This website was first published well over ten years ago when the web was quite new. Some of the buildings have changed since then. However this site has been left unchanged for old time's sake. Back then web pages were simpler affairs than they are now.