Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul's is a magnificent essay in Neo-Gothic by Edward Welby Pugin (1834-1875). It occupies the site of an earlier church which was built in 1786, when Catholics were prohibited from building churches on main streets. This explains why the building is on such a narrow street when it is clearly worthy of a grander setting. Missing too is the spire Pugin had planned for it, which was never built due to lack of funds and for fear that the extra weight might cause the structure to subside.
Inside the church is rich with dark wood, red marble pillars and stain glass windows of which the one over the entrance is the most impressive. The pulpit is of Russian oak with figures carved in high relief.
[Next Stop] [Architecture of Cork Home Page]
Note: This website was first published well over ten years ago when the web was quite new. Some of the buildings have changed since then. However this site has been left unchanged for old time's sake. Back then web pages were simpler affairs than they are now.