Holy TrinityChurch

Fr. Mathew Quay

also known as Fr. Mathew Church

The Father Mathew Memorial Church is a magnificent Georgian-Gothic structure built in 1832 to the design of George Pain. The three part Gothic front and spire were added 1880 when funds allowed. They are not what Pain had intended.

The church dominates the skyline of this part of town and when floodlit by night it has a remarkable weightlessness, as though not made of stone at all. The interior has been remodelled and does not live up to the expectations created by the magnificence of the white stone exterior. Above the altar is a coloured glass window in memory of Daniel O' Connell. Close up inspection of the exterior is rewarded with detailed stone carvings.

[Next Stop] [Architecture of Cork Home Page]
Note: This website was first published well over ten years ago when the web was quite new. Some of the buildings have changed since then. However this site has been left unchanged for old time's sake. Back then web pages were simpler affairs than they are now.