Court House

Washington Street

The Court House was designed by George Richard Pain, assisted by his brother John. It was built in 1835 and was partly burned down in 1891. Fortunately the portico survived the flames. The ten columns of the portico support a weighty triangular pediment and a graceful dome rises from the roof.

This a public building and so the interior is accessible. Although sadly in need of a face lift the marble inside, red from Little Island and green from Connemara, is a reminder of the building's former glory. Missing too is the bronze statue of Justice that once stood on the pediment, which hopefully will some day be returned to its proper setting.

[Next Stop] [Architecture of Cork Home Page]